Tuesday, February 4, 2014

A Little Background Info

I am 16 years old as of yesterday. I have a series of autoimmune diseases that were diagnosed 4 years ago. Trouble is, I've actually had them since birth. Looking at me, you can't really tell. I'm pale, occasional dark bags under my eyes and a butterfly rash when it's hot. But I don't look gravely ill. My secret is that I actually am.

Among my many illnesses are:
*Autoimmune hepatitis type 2 (AIH 2)
*Sjogren syndrome
*Rheumatoid arthritis (RA)
*Lupus
and
*Thyroiditis 

Nearly all of them can become deadly at any time. Coma is a big concern. The AIH 2 has made my liver almost completely useless. Most of it is hardened and scarred. My liver functions just enough to prevent a transplant. AIH 2 can affect the brain too. Sometimes, I notice shaking or my head gets foggy and I can't think straight. Words come out wrong. The Sjogren syndrome also goes after my liver along with my kidneys. Sjogren's dries out my eyes and mouth, sends antibodies to attack my stomach, liver and kidneys and makes me simply sick in general. RA hits ALL of my joints with severe and painful swelling. Mornings are hell with RA. Lupus sends antibodies to kill healthy tissue like my skin, joints, kidneys, brain and whatever else it so chooses. Thyroiditis...'Chronic' Thyroiditis. Obviously it is after my thyroid.

Best part? It's all incurable. All I can do is treat the symptoms and hope for the best. Every day I get up and wonder if it'll be my last day. Sometimes that motivates me...other times it just tears me apart. I don't want pity, I just want to share my story. Just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment